Become a Member
- Appetizer Recipes
- Dinner Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
Partners & Friends
See the new Member Comments area below! Now you can add your recipe review, comments, or
suggestions to the public recipes.
Lowfat Macaroni & Cheese
MyCookbook Recipe Database
MyCookbook Member: m.cannon
Recipe Category: Restricted Diets
Recipe Preparation Level: moderate
1/2 lb elbow macaroni
1 1/2 C lowfat cottage cheese
1 C skim milk
1 T all-purpose white flour
1 C grated sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
1/2 tsp powdered mustard
1/8-1/4 nutmeg (to your taste)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
2 T freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 T fine dry breadcrumbs
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly spray 2-qt baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Cook macaroni until al dente (8-10 minutes).
4. Drain in collander & rinse with cold water.
5. Puree cottage cheese in food processor until smooth.
6. In large heavy saucepan, heat 3/4 C skim milk over medium heat until steaming.
7. In small bowl, stir together flour and the remaining 1/4 C skim milk until smooth.
8. Stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking, until sauce is smooth and thick (about 2 minutes).
9. Remove from heat & stir in Cheddar, pureed cottage cheese, mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, salt & pepper.
10. Stir in the cooked macaroni.
11. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
12. Sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano cheese and breadcrumbs.
13. Bake until bubbling and brown, about 35 minutes.
Serves 4 generously.
This recipe was taken from "Eating Well" magazine. This is what they wrote about it:
"Along with mashed potatoes & Mom's meat loaf, macaroni & cheese is an all-time favorite comfort food. But, taking no comfort in the knowledge that her family's favorite pasta recipe contained 39 grams of fat per serving, Amy Simon of Hampstead, NH asked us for help.
We thought switching to a reduced-fat cottage cheese would be the solution, but the sharp Cheddar flavor just didn't come through. On another tack, we used full-fat Cheddar and pureed low-fat cottage cheese. The new Macaroni & Cheese, with its creamy interior and crisp golden topping, contains only 12 G fat.
This recipe is one of many to undergo a makeover at "Eating Well."
441 calories per serving; 29 G protein, 12 G fat, 52 G carbohydrate; 637 MG sodium, 37 MG cholesterol
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to click a button here that would
instantly add this recipe to your personal cookbook! Join MyCookbook today - it's free!
Feel free to send this recipe to the Guest member, or even send it to your e-mail using the options below:
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to offer a review and/or suggestions
for this recipe!
Join MyCookbook today - it's free!