Become a Member
- Appetizer Recipes
- Dinner Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
Partners & Friends
See the new Member Comments area below! Now you can add your recipe review, comments, or
suggestions to the public recipes.
Martha's Carrot Ginger Cupcakes
MyCookbook Recipe Database
MyCookbook Member: MarthasRecipes
Recipe Category: Dessert
Recipe Preparation Level: moderate
It’s widely accepted that carrot cake has been an American favorite since colonial times. What’s less agreed upon, however, is the recipe’s origins. When Pillsbury recently sponsored a contest to find the first published carrot-cake recipe, the winner was from a 1929 book titled “The Twentieth-Century Bride’s Handbook.” But whatever its history, carrot cake has become a staple of American cuisine and is available today in a variety of forms, from cakes to loaves to Martha’s recipe for delicious carrot-ginger cupcakes with cream-cheese frosting.
CARROT GINGER CUPCAKES
Makes 12 cupcakes
2/3 cup (2 ounces) pecan halves
6 carrots (about 7 1/2 ounces), peeled
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Orange Ginger Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350°. Spread pecans in a single layer on an ungreased baking pan. Transfer to oven, and roast until toasted and brown, about 8 minutes. Give the pan a shake midway through roasting to make sure pecans roast evenly. Remove pan from oven, and let stand until completely cool. Finely chop pecans, and set aside. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
2. Using the smallest holes (less than 1/4 inch in diameter) of a box grater, grate the carrots to yield 1 3/4 cups. Place grated carrots, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, sugar, vegetable oil, and ginger in a large bowl; whisk until well combined.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into carrot mixture until just combined. Fold in toasted pecans.
4. Using a large metal spoon, fill each paper cupcake liner to the top. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, .
5. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to cool completely. Spread about 1/ 4 cup frosting on each cupcake, and serve. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
ORANGE GINGER FROSTING
Makes about 3 cups
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 eight-ounce bar cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
Pinch kosher salt
Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, and beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar; beat until well combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes more. Add the orange zest, ginger, and salt. Beat an additional 5 minutes.
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to click a button here that would
instantly add this recipe to your personal cookbook! Join MyCookbook today - it's free!
Feel free to send this recipe to the Guest member, or even send it to your e-mail using the options below:
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to offer a review and/or suggestions
for this recipe!
Join MyCookbook today - it's free!