Become a Member
- Appetizer Recipes
- Dinner Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
Partners & Friends
See the new Member Comments area below! Now you can add your recipe review, comments, or
suggestions to the public recipes.
Company Rice with Beans
MyCookbook Recipe Database
MyCookbook Member: sueb828
Recipe Category: Vegetarian
Recipe Preparation Level: easy
1 cup rice, brown or white
2 cups water
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (2/3 cup)
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
2 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes (14-1/2 ounce can)
1 medium zucchini (about 1/2 lb.), coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 14-1/2 ounce can beans (kidney, pink, black, garbanzo, or blackeyed peas), drained & rinsed
Salt to taste (optional)
Black pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterrey Jack)
1. In a medium saucepan, combine rice and water, bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes (35 minutes for brown rice). Keep the pan covered until the vegetable mixture is done.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion and garlic, and saute until they are soft.
3. Add the tomatoes, zucchini, and oregano. Cover the skillet, and simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
4. Add the beans, and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
5. To serve, spoon the vegetable-bean mixture over the hot rice, and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
From Jane Brody's Good Food Book.
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to click a button here that would
instantly add this recipe to your personal cookbook! Join MyCookbook today - it's free!
Feel free to send this recipe to the Guest member, or even send it to your e-mail using the options below:
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to offer a review and/or suggestions
for this recipe!
Join MyCookbook today - it's free!