Become a Member
- Appetizer Recipes
- Dinner Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
Partners & Friends
See the new Member Comments area below! Now you can add your recipe review, comments, or
suggestions to the public recipes.
Acorn Squash and Shiitake Mushroom Risotto
MyCookbook Recipe Database
MyCookbook Member: lfahey
Recipe Category: Pasta
Recipe Preparation Level: easy
1 small acorn squash, about 1 pound
about 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup diced onions
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced, fresh thyme
1 cup Arborio rice
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Place it, cut surface up, in the microwave. Microwave on high until it is tender, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly, scoop out the flesh in tablespoon size pieces and reserve. Discard the skin.
2. Meanwhile, heat the chicken broth in a saucepan and keep hot over low heat.
3. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a separate, medium-sized pot. Add the onion and cook until it turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms become tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook 2 minutes more.
4. Add the rice to the onion mixture, stir and turn the heat to low. Add about 1 cup of the hot stock to the rice mixture, and stir slowly until the stock is absorbed.
5. Continue to add the stock 1 cup at a time, stirring slowly, letting the rice absorb the stock before adding more.
6. The risotto is cooked when it is creamy on the outside and slightly firm (al dente) in the center, about 20 to 25 minutes in all. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese. Gently stir in the squash chunks just to reheat without crushing. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the risotto is too thick, add a little more stock until it becomes creamy.
7. Divide the risotto into serving dishes, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve immediately. Serving Size about 1/2 cup. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Analysis per serving: Calories 302, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Sodium 176 mg.
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to click a button here that would
instantly add this recipe to your personal cookbook! Join MyCookbook today - it's free!
Feel free to send this recipe to the Guest member, or even send it to your e-mail using the options below:
If you were an actual member, you'd be able to offer a review and/or suggestions
for this recipe!
Join MyCookbook today - it's free!